Background

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The Project Bin

Today is my scheduled day to post for The Project Bin.  2 Weeks ago I posted cards that I had made with napkins.  Today I have several more to show along with a short tutorial on how I made these cards.


Supplies Needed:

Pretty Napkin, Cling Wrap, CardStock for base, Assorted Die, Scrap cardstock





1    Separate printed layer of napkin from white part.  Some napkins are 2 ply and some are 3 ply.  Take it down to the top layer.




      Assemble piece of white cardstock, plastic wrap and then top layer of napkin.  I then took a piece of inexpensive 8 ½ x 11 white cardstock and folded it in half to form an envelope.  I then slipped the sandwich of layers from above into it.  This is to make sure you don’t get any of the cling wrap on your iron.





3    With your iron on the highest non-steam setting, begin ironing the sandwich, going over it evenly for a few minutes, making sure you iron the entire area.   Let cool.

While holding the napkin down with one hand, carefully pull back the top part of the folded envelope you created.  . Check to be sure the napkin is fused to the cardstock everywhere - especially at the corners. If it's not, simply put the sandwich back down and continue ironing. You can do this as often as necessary.  Trim to fit cardstock




5    Using your dies cut out your pieces using your diecut machine.  I was able to die cut the images below using just one square of my napkin.




6     Assemble your card.   For the first card below I used the stamp set “Simply Sayin” and the next card I used “bff” both from The Project Bin.

            





7.       Here is an example of another card I made using a different napkin and used it as the background.  The sentiment is from The Project Bin called Birthday Girl.  
I hope you give this technique a try.  I guarantee you won't look at a napkin the same way.  




4 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

WOW! Thanks for the tutorial, Tracie! The only time I've tried the napkin technique, they said to use modpodge... and it just didn't look good, in my opinion. Now I want to try your method!

And your card - double WOW! It's gorgeous!

Barb said...

Stunning!

Vannessa Osbourn said...

I've used modge podge or matte medium which is ok but my favorite way is using a regular glue stick! Though I have only used a napkin for the background of a card! I use a bit of water on a brush to detach the shape you want from the patterned napkin without harsh lines. Works well for a mixed media look. I love your idea of die cutting pieces! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Suzy Sprague said...

This looks awesome! I'm going to check out what napkins I have on hand. I can't wait to try this!

Creative Crew

 Today is one day late for my post for our creative crew group.  I had a design team post I had to make for yesterday so I thought I would p...